What I'm Backing on Kickstarter:

What I'm Backing on Kickstarter:
After Winter Dark Campaign Setting

Monday, April 20, 2015

Stalagmite Painting Guide

With everything going on, I have not been painting as much as I would like.  Hell, there are a lot of things I would like to be doing and don't get to do as much as I would like.  However, I still paint when I can.  Every now and then, I get someone telling me that they would paint if they had the time or I wish I could paint and anything I would try to paint would suck.


People that make such statements often do so because of misconceptions.  Don't get me wrong, it does take some time to paint a single miniature you're intending to use to represent a character... You've got different colors and a strong desire to be attentive to all the details you possibly can to realized what you want to do.  Admittedly, it might not be quite what you envision the first couple of times out the gate when you do one but there are so many little tricks to make your life easier when it comes to painting miniatures.

As for time, that can be a tough one but, if it's important enough I think it's easy to work something in.  Watching the game?  Why not paint at the same time?  It doesn't take much to look up and takes to the wonders of instant replays (and PVRs that allow you to rewind anything you may have missed), and it won't stop you from LISTENING to the the commentators describing the action.  Can it be a bit tricky at times?  Sure and it won't speed up the painting but you'll get some work done.

Some people are also not *into* a lot of the detailed painting of miniatures.  I get that, and thankfully it isn't impossible to find some pre-painted figures for you to use.  Scenery might be a bit tricky.  Oddly it can also be simple to paint.

These Stalagmites from Reaper Miniatures (out of their Bones II Kickstarter) are a perfect example.  These were not time consuming, did not require any significant attention to detail, and so simple that anyone who hasn't painted before can be practically guaranteed of a paint job they can be VERY happy with.

I primed the miniatures with liquid acrylic gesso (as I usually do with these models).  Once dried, I gave them a grey basecoat.  If using Citadel Paints, you can use 'Mechanicus Standard Grey' but really any acrylic grey will do.  A mid-range between white and black is what you are looking for. Once again... very easy thing to do.  You don't apply to thick or too thin.


Depending on the look you are going for, you have several options limited only by your imagination.  I liked a purple color and chose a wash (Citadel's 'Duchii Violet') and applied a generous coat from top to bottom on them.  I let the dry while making sure not too much pooled at the base of the figures.  If it started to pool, I took the brush to 'soak up' some of the excess liquid.  I allowed it to dry.

Honestly, at this point, if you are happy with the look, you can consider this 'mission accomplished'.

I went one step further and did a bit of drybrushing to bring out some of the edge and surface details.  This is VERY minimal kind of work and I chose something with a light purple look about them.  Once again, if using Citadel, you can use the Dry compound, 'Lucius Lilac' or the Edge paint, 'Dechala Lilac'.  They are pretty much the same color expect the consistency is obviously different.  I love drybrushing my models ever since I got used to it but, in this case, it was such a small and light amount that you can hardly tell it was done.


I did all six pieces, from start to finish, while watching a hockey game.

So, if you are not the type to get into a lot of miniature painting, or are just looking to get started, I don't think you can get much easier than doing something like these.

Happy painting!

M

No comments:

Post a Comment